Using social media to grow your email list
Wednesday, June 25, 2014
Your email database is the most important and valuable marketing asset you will ever own. Email is the most personal and direct way of reaching customers. It is opened every day and can help you reach your marketing objectives quickly.
Social media can be a great supplementary tool — to engage prospects and customers, build relationships with them and also generate leads. A lead is someone who visits your website and/or gives you their email. The more leads you have, the more sales you can possibly make. It is a simple and direct relationship.
Social media should be used as a means to extend your brand from the website. Your website should be the central hub of all your online marketing.
Here's how you can use social media to grow your email list:
When doing contests on social media, think about how you can increase the number of emails you receive and not the number of people who "like" or "follow" you. This is because likes and follows are not directly owned by you, unlike your email database.
People who are more likely to be interested in your products/services will enter their email addresses. This enables spot-on targeting via email for your company, unlike receiving a like or a follow from people who might not be as relevant/interested.
2. Facebook tabs and apps
There are a number of tabs and apps available that allow you to capture emails right on your Facebook page. MailChimp is one such service.
Since other social media outlets do not have similar facilities, you can always link back to your landing page.
3. Twitter lead-generation cards
Users can easily and securely share their email address with a business without leaving Twitter or having to fill out a cumbersome form.
When someone expands your tweet, they see a description of the offer and a call to action. Their name, @username and email address are already prefilled within the card. The user simply clicks a button to send this information directly (and securely) to you.
To learn more about lead-generation cards on Twitter, click here.
In return for email addresses, you can give out subscriptions, a discount to your e-commerce store, an e-book or whitepaper, etc.
Giving an incentive of specialized/exclusive content via social media can be a great way to not only grow your email database, but also increase your visibility and show off your expertise to impress your customers/prospects.
By uploading your email list to Facebook and Twitter ad tools, you can exclude the email addresses of people already on your list — and narrow in on people who are fans of your page/followers of your account but not signed up for emails.
You can also use Facebook's new look-alike audiences to go after people who are similar to the folks already on your list.
How do you grow your email list via social media? Let us know in the comments below.
- 8 exercises for strengthening your business writing
- Writing the letter that gets you more referrals
- 101 bad business buzzwords — and why you should avoid them
- 9 steps to more concise business writing
- 7 critical trade show mistakes you’re making and don’t know it
- Traditional media vs. social media: Making the right choices
- The 16 best lines in marketing
- Marketing to the dog-lover lifestyle can mean big business
- Employees may hate their jobs — but they’re not going to quit
- Flying the friendly skies with a little help from HEPA filters
- To survive the future, business owners look to the past
- My team outperformed expectations amid WFH — but we’re still heading back to the office eventually
- Brand altruism in the age of COVID-19: 5 marketing mistakes you should never make
See your work in future editions
Your content, Your Expertise,
Your Industry Needs YOUR Expert Voice & We've got the platform you needFind Out How