Podcast: Keys to successfully going out-of-network and maintaining patient volume
Friday, April 05, 2019
Click the play button above to listen to the podcast or click here to download.
Sturdy McKee took a booming, three-clinic in-network practice and successfully transitioned completely out-of-network without missing a beat. In this podcast, he shares the patient communication strategy he used each time he dropped a provider, asks a thought provoking question about why patients would choose to go out-of-network, and gives examples of where cash-based practices have to excel to win patients (and it isn’t just getting people better).
McKee and I also discuss how developing his business acumen kept his practice alive early on and allowed it to thrive as it grew. He shares the courses, coaches, and books he has utilized on his way to becoming a business consultant.
If you like the advice and resources he gives during the show, be sure to check out his online course on Recruiting and Hiring A-Players.
More specifically, we discuss:
- The Scale of Delightedness and how to take your patients beyond ‘satisfied’ to delighted.
- His strategy for communicating with patients prior to dropping an insurer.
- Entrepreneurial tantrums and why independence requires cooperation.
- The to-do list prioritization strategy used by Warren Buffett.
- Why the biggest names in business all focus on routine.
- Courses and coaches McKee has utilized on his path to becoming a coach himself.
- The struggles he faced in his early days of private practice.
- The absolutely required mindset for physical therapist transitioning out-of-network.
- An awesome thought exercise the explores why potential patients choose cash-based.
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- List of Business Resources compiled by Sturdy McKee. Many were mentioned in the podcast episode.
- How to Recruit and Hire A-Players, an online course by Sturdy McKee.
- Sturdy’s Business Coaching
- "Scaling Up" by Verne Harnish
- "The E-Myth" by Michael Gerber
- Simpleology, Sturdy’s first business course.
- Rich Dad Education, another course Sturdy took early on.
- Results.com, Stephen Lynch’s business consulting group.
- Best exercises for gluteus medius strengthening
- Pectoralis minor: Far from a minor problem
- The importance of hip internal rotation
- 8 exercises for strengthening your business writing
- The top 5 exercises you should be doing
- 17 of the most specific, bizarre ICD-10 codes
- The addictive eye drops that kill
- BSN or ADN? Nursing at a crossroads
- Steer clear of these delusional hiring practices
- What’s your office’s air pollution level?
- Cochise County: A beautiful little corner of Arizona
- Do ‘zero-tolerance’ policies in education really work?
- Prime space at board meetings
See your work in future editions
Your content, Your Expertise,
Your Industry Needs YOUR Expert Voice & We've got the platform you needFind Out How