How project management helps make IT projects successful
Thursday, August 28, 2014
For an organization to have successful IT projects, it should embrace modern project management techniques. This is where the IT project manager comes into play. Project managers have a specific role to help the team have a successful IT project.
Some of the roles and responsibilities of an IT project manager include:
- Define and manage the work by scope definition, work breakdown schedules, define project management software and other project plans and reports all help in making sure the project is completed successfully
- Time management and develop a project schedule to include Gantt charts, network diagrams and critical path analysis
- Cost benefits analysis and budget controls
- Quality management that the stated requirements of the project are satisfied
- Human resources management in hiring the right project team and the right mix of skills
- Communication management including communication plans, conflict management, progress reports and other communication- related items
- Risk management and developing the impact matrices and risk rankings
- Acquisition and procurement management to include requests for proposals or quotes, source selection and evaluation matrices.
There is more than just the IT project manager; there's the IT project itself. The project success must be defined to make sure that it does not fail. How do you make sure that this occurs? Some common criterion can be followed.
- Make sure that the project can meet all scope, time and cost initiatives or goals
- The project satisfies all customer and or stakeholder requirements
- The objective of the project is done on time, has a return on investment and is within in budget
Project managers must provide leadership and direction for not only the IT project to succeed but also the organization. They use proven IT management tools, develop and grow project leads, streamline work processes, eliminate bottlenecks, and define achievable milestones.
The IT project manager of today has to work with the project teams, sponsors and others across the organization to make sure the project will be a success. They must take the time to make sure they understand all the expectations of the sponsors and work with the sponsors to help make the project a success.
Finally, the project manager should not only look at his/her roles and responsibilities, but also make sure to have the right education and certifications, especially from the Project Management Institute (PMI). This will go along way in making sure that the project, the organization and the IT project manager are successful.
- The stress of 911 call-takers and emergency dispatchers
- Will kids affected by the digital divide be ready for next school year?
- To fight crime, engage kids in quality after-school programs
- 9 steps to more concise business writing
- Can solar energy compete with fossil fuels?
- Nurses rally in DC to address staffing issues with Congress
- US vs. Europe: Comparing different approaches to renewable energy
- Modern slavery and the hidden world of human trafficking
- Dealing with risk in a volatile season
- What everyone should know about payroll fraud
- Heart attack, stroke patients are avoiding the ER due to COVID-19 concerns
- Coronavirus and student loans: What’s the impact?
- Will home-sharing and luxury hotels recover before other lodging products?
See your work in future editions
Your content, Your Expertise,
Your Industry Needs YOUR Expert Voice & We've got the platform you needFind Out How