ADA partners with National Institutes of Health for opioids webinar
Thursday, March 07, 2019
Prescription opioid abuse remains a dangerous and growing problem in America. Every day, more than 115 Americans die after overdosing on opioids, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
When taken as prescribed for short periods under a doctor’s care, opioids can be an effective pain management tool. However, prescription opioids carry the risk of abuse and addiction, particularly if they are used for nonmedical purposes.
The ADA is hosting an opioids webinar on Wednesday, April 3, featuring the National Institutes of Health. Called NIH Response to the Opioid Crisis from a Research Perspective, the webinar will take place from 3-4 p.m. EST.
The free webinar, which includes an hour of continuing education credit for member dentists, will touch on the following topics:
- An overview of the opioid crisis.
- How addiction is a chronic brain disease.
- What NIH is doing to address the issue through research as related to pain management and dentistry.
- The Helping to End Addiction Long-term, or HEAL Initiative, including ongoing and completed studies related to dental pain management and opioid prescribing from the National Dental Practice-Based Network.
Featured speakers of the one-hour webinar include Wilson M. Compton, MD, deputy director, National Institute on Drug Abuse; Dr. Martha J. Somerman, director, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research and Dr. Brad Rindal, senior research investigator and associate dental director for research, HealthPartners Dental Group.
Dentists or dental practice administrators interested in this important and informative webinar can register here.
ADA Health and Well-Being Conference Coming Soon
Calling all dentists! The 2019 Health and Well-Being Conference will take place on Aug. 16. The council's ADA Dental Wellness Advisory Committee will host the conference at ADA Headquarters in Chicago and focus on continuing education on career burnout and stress management.
For more information, contact Alison Bramhall at email@example.com or 1-202-898-2410.
- Best exercises for gluteus medius strengthening
- Pectoralis minor: Far from a minor problem
- The importance of hip internal rotation
- The top 5 exercises you should be doing
- Children of the badge: The impact of stress on law enforcement children
- Are independent pharmacies really that profitable?
- 8 signs you could be depressed and not even know it
- The addictive eye drops that kill
- 4 inexpensive ways to motivate your team through a long project
- Trauma training is imperative for K-12 students, employees
- Healthcare groups: Payers are lagging with prior authorization reform
- How cutting-edge robotics bring manufacturing into a new age
- America may need to rethink how it handles recycling
See your work in future editions
Your content, Your Expertise,
Your Industry Needs YOUR Expert Voice & We've got the platform you needFind Out How