5 reasons why you should drive your Porsche to Thanksgiving dinner
Monday, November 20, 2017
Nearly 49 million people will travel 50 miles or more for Thanksgiving this year, according to AAA. Nearly 90 percent of people will be driving to their destinations. So why not take your Porsche?
Depending on where you live and what type of car you drive, Thanksgiving is the perfect time of year to take your Porsche on a road trip.
1. It's better than flying
Airports get crowded, and ticket prices increase around 20 percent during Thanksgiving. Wouldn't it be better to avoid the rush, long security lines and harried people during a time when you should be relaxing?
Flying can be frustrating during the regular season, so it's best to avoid it during the holidays. Even if your drive is a few hours long, if you time it right you can avoid traffic and relax comfortably in your own car. Plus, you can visit friends or make other stops along the way.
2. You can escape your in-laws
If you need a bit of stress relief during Thanksgiving, grab your keys and an enthusiastic passenger for a quick trip around town.
The holidays can be taxing. Just because you're gathering with family doesn't mean everyone is happy to see each other. There can be moments when all you want to do is escape. That's easier to do if there's someone in the family who's interested in taking a drive in your Porsche. People are fascinated by the brand, and adults and kids alike can easily be tempted into taking a joy ride.
3. It's a conversation starter
What is there to do on Thanksgiving besides eat, watch football and nap? Sometimes it can be tiresome spending all day inside.
A lot of people love talking about cars — the ones they owned, the ones they desired, and the ones that got away — so steer the conversation to your favorite model. If you're meeting people for the first time or trying to convince a family member to join the Porsche Club of America, it's a good idea to have one with you for them to check out.
4. You can go to the store for last-minute groceries
Maybe the cook forgot the cranberry sauce or requires extra flour for the gravy. It's common for people to make last-minute runs to the corner store on Thanksgiving Day.
Why not take the Porsche? It's considerably more fun than the family minivan, and even a 911 can fit a bag of groceries inside. You'll also get there and back faster than anyone else in the family.
5. It may be the last drive of the season
Unless you live in the South or drive a Cayenne, Macan or other winter-equipped Porsche, there's a good chance you'll soon be packing your Porsche away for the season.
If you're lucky, snow has yet to arrive and the roads are still clear of salt and sand, so you can still drive your Porsche before its seasonal hibernation. The Thanksgiving holiday is a good opportunity to get it out on the road one last time. Just be aware of wet roads and piles of leaves that can create slick conditions.
A lot of Porsches are set up to drive throughout the year. But some of us with air-cooled models prefer the shoulder seasons and cooler temperatures because road trips are worry-free when the temperature gauge stays low.
November is particularly desirable for this 1976 911S owner, and Thanksgiving is the perfect time to start "Smokey" up one last time before storing him in the garage for his long winter sleep.
- Battery issues: Understanding your RV’s electrical systems
- Back to the future with Ford bioplastics
- Defying the Porsche owner stereotype
- Stemming the tide: Let’s save the manual transmission
- The best Porsche that was never built
- Wide Open: A documentary film about how PCA opened a member’s eyes to track driving
- What the FAA’s rule change means for HEMS
- NYC’s crackdown on e-bikes: What this means for riders, owners
- 5 tips for planning a winter RV camping trip
- Wildfires in Northern and Southern California claim 31 lives so far
- Travel2020: Can you take it on a plane? Surprising things TSA will allow
- Utilizing experiential learning in a university context
- November is National Veterans and Military Families Month
See your work in future editions
Your content, Your Expertise,
Your Industry Needs YOUR Expert Voice & We've got the platform you needFind Out How