What we say in healthcare matters
Monday, May 18, 2020
The next time I teach a group of healthcare professionals, I think I’m going to sprinkle glitter on them. You know how hard it is to limit its reach — glitter ends up everywhere!
This exercise would not be a lesson in germ transmission (although it sure could be). The purpose would be a visible reminder that our impact as providers spreads far and wide.
I’d hone in on communication, that what we say matters. To ourselves, our colleagues and in our personal lives.
It’s been said, every time we speak, “We’re either building people up or tearing people down.”
What ripples do we wish to create in the world? Because we do. Whether we’re conscious of it or not. Whether we mean to or not.
By listening, being clear and acting with kindness, we can contribute compassion, one connection at a time. What the world needs now is love, sweet love.
Remember learning that an accurate diagnosis could be attained 80% of the time solely from a thorough history and physical examination? And to save the diagnostic tests for the other 20%?
Two decades ago, the Kaiser Permanente healthcare system begin examining physician-patient communications using videotaping. Many important findings and implications came from this work; perhaps, most notable is that it only took three more minutes per visit for physician-patient outcomes to radically improve.
Only three more minutes! By shifting the focus to eliciting the patient’s story, listening and explaining, both the physician and patient felt much more satisfied and realized better results.
I watched a smidgen of a TV show not long ago where a hospitalized elderly heart transplant patient said to his nurse, “I’m not going to make it this round — it feels different this time to me.” The nurse immediately responded, “Don’t talk like that. I’m here and I will make sure you do.”
What a missed moment! She had the perfect opening right then and there to listen and explore end-of-life issues. Later, just as a transplant match was found, he coded and died.
Setting an intention prior to speaking can clarify the message we’re trying to deliver. Consider the “take away” beforehand.
When talking, be mindful of timing, verbiage and nonverbal behaviors. Keep it concise and to the point.
Successful communication is not just what is said but what is actually heard. All of us have filters, blinders and projections that skew our interpretations.
After you’ve said your say, it’s helpful to check-in with the receiver. Using Nonviolent Communication principles, ask, “Would you be willing to tell me what you just heard me say?” to make sure that you’re both on track.
Too often, all that glitters is not gold.
While it’s important for “you to be you” and “they to be they” as the popular phrase purports, good communication is really about connection and unity. Speak without haranguing or judgment.
We’ve got to get off our yoga mats and take Sunday sermons out into the streets. Practicing empathy is what we are being called to do.
I’ll never forget the kindness a janitor showed me one weekend while I was working at hospice. I was in the empty office, finishing some charting, when I received a very distressing call and burst into tears.
Thinking I was alone, I didn’t hold back feeling the full force of the news. I sobbed.
Some moments later, this man, who I had never met before, came over to me and asked if I was OK. If there was anything he could do. What a blessed soul!
Listen, be clear and act kind. What we say matters.
- Best exercises for gluteus medius strengthening
- Pectoralis minor: Far from a minor problem
- The importance of hip internal rotation
- Millions of high school students set for success: Celebrating Career and Technical Education Month
- The top 5 exercises you should be doing
- 17 of the most specific, bizarre ICD-10 codes
- Are independent pharmacies really that profitable?
- Children of the badge: The impact of stress on law enforcement children
- US payrolls add 2.5 million jobs amid reopenings; unemployment drops to 13.3%
- ADA Humanitarian Award deadline extended to September
- As humans search for higher agricultural yields, their waste may flush a stinky situation
- Covid, a four-letter curse word for associations
- Smart bidding can be your new digital marketing weapon for recovering brand profits
See your work in future editions
Your content, Your Expertise,
Your Industry Needs YOUR Expert Voice & We've got the platform you needFind Out How