Infographic: Understanding eminent domain
Friday, March 26, 2021
One of the basic understandings of the American dream is having a house and land. What if the government then came along and tried to take your land? If you own land, you need to know your rights when it pertains to eminent domain. This is happening across the nation.
Eminent domain has roots based on the Fifth Amendment, and grants the government the rights to seize private property without the owner's consent — with two main points: as long as the government provides just compensation and has claims for public use, it is permissible.
You might ask “what is just compensation?" If your land has been targeted for an eminent domain case, you’ll likely receive a notice of intent by mail. You then may be appraised on the size and value of your land and be given a purchase offer based on that appraised value.
Knowing your rights includes getting appropriate legal counsel who can help negotiate your terms. Check the following visual deep dive on eminent domain below:
- Law Enforcement, Defense & Security
- Business Management, Services & Risk Management
- Civil & Government
- Construction & Building Materials
- Facilities & Grounds
- Waste Management & Environmental
- Breaking down barriers to make career and technical pathways accessible for everyone
- How employers are helping employees reduce student loan debt
- Report: Only 6% of US companies offer comprehensive child care benefits
- Millions of high school students set for success: Celebrating Career and Technical Education Month
- 3 ways to make your supply chain more resilient
- 10 negative employee behaviors that undermine success
- To fight crime, engage kids in quality after-school programs
- Tips for interrupting unconscious bias
- If hybrid work is here to stay, how can you get the most from it?
- Combatting bullying: It’s time to fight back
- 7 communication skills to build as a woman in leadership
- Customer experience and employee engagement: An interconnected working relationship
- Recessions and small business: How to survive and even flourish
See your work in future editions
Your content, Your Expertise,
Your Industry Needs YOUR Expert Voice & We've got the platform you needFind Out How