Infographic: Understanding eminent domain
Friday, March 26, 2021
One of the basic understandings of the American dream is having a house and land. What if the government then came along and tried to take your land? If you own land, you need to know your rights when it pertains to eminent domain. This is happening across the nation.
Eminent domain has roots based on the Fifth Amendment, and grants the government the rights to seize private property without the owner's consent — with two main points: as long as the government provides just compensation and has claims for public use, it is permissible.
You might ask “what is just compensation?" If your land has been targeted for an eminent domain case, you’ll likely receive a notice of intent by mail. You then may be appraised on the size and value of your land and be given a purchase offer based on that appraised value.
Knowing your rights includes getting appropriate legal counsel who can help negotiate your terms. Check the following visual deep dive on eminent domain below:
- Law Enforcement, Defense & Security
- Business Management, Services & Risk Management
- Civil & Government
- Construction & Building Materials
- Facilities & Grounds
- Waste Management & Environmental
- Breaking down barriers to make career and technical pathways accessible for everyone
- How employers are helping employees reduce student loan debt
- Report: Only 6% of US companies offer comprehensive child care benefits
- 3 ways to make your supply chain more resilient
- Millions of high school students set for success: Celebrating Career and Technical Education Month
- Tips for interrupting unconscious bias
- To fight crime, engage kids in quality after-school programs
- 10 negative employee behaviors that undermine success
- America’s favorite lakes for family fun
- An acid test for board discussions
- 9 essential tips for managing customer data
- What’s negotiable in your raise, promotion or job offer?
- The thrill behind the wheel: A lifelong inventory of automotive ownership
See your work in future editions
Your content, Your Expertise,
Your Industry Needs YOUR Expert Voice & We've got the platform you needFind Out How