Infographic: The top 10 construction technology trends impacting the industry in 2020
Thursday, June 18, 2020
The construction sector has spent decades trying to catch up with other industries when it comes to implementing and utilizing new technologies. Due to the extremities of standards required within construction, there is no room for error when it comes to modern construction technology.
That is why the sector has had to patiently wait for kinks and bugs to be ironed out of new inventions before allowing these near a worksite or allowed during the design process. Not only can errors be costly and time-consuming, but they can also endanger lives.
However, these technologies have finally been fine-tuned and problems eliminated. 2020 is now proving to be the year that the construction industry can finally catch up with others and take full advantage of modern machinery and robotics.
1. Big Data
Big data can analyze immense sums of information and pull patterns to provide actionable insights.
Weather and traffic can be predicted to determine then construction should take place for optimum productivity.
2. Artificial intelligence and Machine Learning
The lifespan of a building can be significantly increased with a predictive design that can detect clashes in systems at the early stages of the design process.
AI can also be programmed to complete repetitive tasks and alleviate the workforce from performing these things, often with better results.
3. The Internet of Things
Smart devices can now be used to track footfall and check staff in and out of worksites.
More recently, developments have been made to provide alerts to workers when they stand too close to each other, helping to ensure social distancing on a worksite without impeding on efficiency.
4. Robotics & Drones
Cameras on drones provide an overview of the site that project management would have previously not seen. This helps to determine hazards and aid risk assessments.
Bricklaying and masonry are now being overtaken by robotics, and you can provide quality results that are often faster and less expensive than hiring laborers.
5. 5G and Wi-Fi 6
5G and Wi-Fi 6 are now fast enough to provide the connectivity required to keep in touch with all teams and clients while eradicating installation costs and times of broadband.
6. Building Information Modelling (BIM) Technology
BIM provides experts with the ability to collaborate within design teams without worrying about clashes between departments. It also provides problem-solving solutions to speed planning and efficiency.
7. Augmented Reality (AR)/Virtual Reality (VR) Technologies
VR and AR can provide walkthrough or building sites and construction plans, to provide a full view of the final product. Allowing clients to see a design in 3D before agreeing to it.
8. 3D Printing
Materials can now be printed on-site, reducing the cost of specialized items, removing delivery costs, carbon emissions and delays.
9. Mobile and Cloud Technologies
Initial security issues meant these were overlooked. Now cloud technology is incredibly secure and allows data and files to be shared and edited in real time.
10. Blockchain Technologies
Payment can now be stored safely and securely with a third party. This is then released on completion of the construct. Construction teams no longer have to chase payments and clients have peace of mind knowing their task at hand will be completed correctly.
Infographic courtesy UK Connect
- Breaking down barriers to make career and technical pathways accessible for everyone
- 3 ways to make your supply chain more resilient
- Millions of high school students set for success: Celebrating Career and Technical Education Month
- To fight crime, engage kids in quality after-school programs
- You can’t be what you can’t see
- Study: Researchers search for better ways to nix inventory errors
- How can educators promote self-direction, independence during remote learning?
- The environmental benefits of LED lighting
- Association execs: It must be in the genes
- How to increase ESL student retention
- 4 beneficial career moves to make while in college
- Simple ideas to strengthen struggling readers’ achievements
- 5 surprising ways consumers really think
See your work in future editions
Your content, Your Expertise,
Your Industry Needs YOUR Expert Voice & We've got the platform you needFind Out How