Infographic: Gen Z e-commerce trends — sustainability and the second-hand economy
Monday, July 12, 2021
Through the pandemic, an interesting trend has emerged in the world of e-commerce, particularly with the Generation Z demographic (individuals born after 1996). Dubbed "recommerce," the second-hand economy is going strong in terms of buying and selling goods online, and Gen Z buying habits in recommerce are leading the pack among other age demographics.
An eBay study found that Gen Z is buying more pre-owned goods versus other generations. 81% of those surveyed said that buying pre-owned has become more common over the last year.
Businesses and marketplaces alike would be smart to cater to such trends in ecommerce if they are interested in keeping up with Gen Z. On the selling side, 73% of this motivated demographic reported that they are interested in selling second-hand goods for financial benefits — more than double the other generational groups.
An added benefit of the second-hand economy is its practicality in sustainability. Since new goods aren't being produced in the selling of second-hand goods, waste reduction is a significant savings — one that has been meaningful to Gen Zers.
Learn more about the second-hand economy and sustainability in the eBay Recommerce Report below:
Infographic courtesy eBay Inc.
- 3 ways to make your supply chain more resilient
- 10 negative employee behaviors that undermine success
- Study: Researchers search for better ways to nix inventory errors
- Are independent pharmacies really that profitable?
- Selling your business? What tenants need to know about their lease
- 7 key elements of an effective new employee orientation program
- Avoiding security deposit pitfalls when renewing your lease
- 6 high-paying logistics and supply chain jobs to watch
- If hybrid work is here to stay, how can you get the most from it?
- Combatting bullying: It’s time to fight back
- 7 communication skills to build as a woman in leadership
- Customer experience and employee engagement: An interconnected working relationship
- Recessions and small business: How to survive and even flourish
See your work in future editions
Your content, Your Expertise,
Your Industry Needs YOUR Expert Voice & We've got the platform you needFind Out How