Collegians in the US Amateur
Thursday, August 17, 2017
The 117th U.S. Amateur teed off Monday in Los Angeles as 312 of the best amateurs in the game compete for the USGA's oldest championship.
The tournament consists of two rounds of stroke play to qualify for the match play round of 64. The Riviera Country Club and Bel-Air Country Club played co-host for the two rounds of stroke play on Monday and Tuesday, with Riviera hosting the match play rounds.
Of those 312 players, 196 are either current members of a collegiate golf team or recently graduated. With 117 schools represented from NCAA Divisions I, II and III, as well as the NAIA, collegiate golf will undoubtedly have a big role to play throughout the tournament. Southern California (USC) leads the group with seven golfers in the field, and Georgia Tech brings six, while Alabama, LSU, Oklahoma State and Texas all have five players competing.
The field includes 12 players who competed in the 2017 Arnold Palmer Cup at Atlanta Athletic Club earlier this summer. Collin Morikawa and Doug Ghim are just two of the members of the victorious Team USA who will vie to join some of the legends of the game who have lifted the Havemeyer Trophy before them. Players like Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson, Jack Nicklaus and the great Arnold Palmer himself started their golfing careers with a win at the U.S. Amateur.
Play started on Monday with Norman Xiong of Oregon, Hayden Wood of Oklahoma State and Mark Lawrence Jr. of Virginia Tech finishing in a three-way tie for first place after shooting a opening round score of 64. Tuesday's round concluded with Wood at 9-under, three strokes clear of Xiong to hold first place going into Wednesday's match play round of 64 at The Riviera Country Club.
For the latest scoring, visit USGA.org. Below is a breakdown of each university's qualifiers.
- Boise State
- Cal Poly
- Charleston Southern
- Cleveland State
- College of Charleston
- Colorado State
- George Washington
- Georgia Southern
- Georgia Tech
- Grand Canyon University
- Kansas State
- Miami (OH)
- NC State
- North Florida
- Northern Illinois
- Ohio State
- Oklahoma State
- Penn State
- Saint Mary's College
- San Diego State
- Simon Fraser
- South Dakota
- Southeastern Louisiana
- Southern Illinois-Edwardsville
- Spring Hill College
- St. Martin's
- Texas A&M
- UC Davis
- UC Irvine
- UNC Wilmington
- Virginia Tech
- Wake Forest
- Best exercises for gluteus medius strengthening
- Pectoralis minor: Far from a minor problem
- The importance of hip internal rotation
- The top 5 exercises you should be doing
- Tight calf muscles: The Achilles’ heel of new runners
- Advice to high school athletes from a former Texas Longhorn
- Apple attempts mobile health dominance with HealthKit app
- 10 commandments of injury prevention
- Do agile projects need risk management?
- How the incredibly high cost of a bad hire affects your job search
- How to make more effective patient referrals
- How to save money at your office with smart tech
- The great carbon dioxide crisis in the UK
See your work in future editions
Your content, Your Expertise,
Your Industry Needs YOUR Expert Voice & We've got the platform you needFind Out How